How to update wood paneling – Wood paneling was a popular option for family rooms and finished basements in the 1980 s. Many homes still have panels, but tastes and trends have led many owners to upgrade to a newer, lighter look. There are ways to brighten your walls and make your old paneled room look larger. Working with the grooves in the panels allows you to stripe your walls with two complementary colors or flat and pearl-finish paint. Or you can get rid of the panel appearance by filling in the tracks or cover the timber with plaster. The choice is yours.
How to update wood paneling, striped Effect.
- Grind the panels easy to see paint adhesion.
- Vacuum to remove the dust.
- Apply a coat of primer designed to cover glaze.
- Use a 12-inch roll.
- Let the primer dry.
- Clean the roller.
- Apply two layers of flat surface, by means of your 12-inch roll.
- Let the paint dry thoroughly between coats.
- Apply two coats of pearl-finish paint in the same color or a complementary color.
- Painting each second panel, using a 2-inch roll.
- Let the paint dry completely between coats.
How to update wood paneling, eliminate the grooves.
- Apply wood filler to the tracks between your panels, using a trowel.
- Wipe away excess putty with a damp sponge.
- Rinse the sponge often in a bucket of clean, warm water.
- Allow the wood filler to dry.
- Sand the wood filler easily, using fine sandpaper wrapped around a sanding block.
- Sand remaining surface to ensure paint adhesion.
- Wipe the panels with a clean, damp cloth.
- Let it dry.
- Apply two coats of primer to cover glaze.
- Allow the primer to dry between coats.
- Apply the finish coat of paint.
- Allow it to dry thoroughly.
If you want to do the bleaching of wood
White paint with wood patterns are very popular due to the trend of Shabby Chic
(Collaboration interior style cottage and France province) can be achieved with a tool that you can find the furniture store:
13 Photos Gallery of: How to Update Wood Paneling Ideas
- Liming wax
- Dark and Clear wax
- Liming Primary
- Brass rubbing
- Wipe clean
- Brushes and sandpaper
Rub the wood with Wool Brass (brass rubbing) in order to absorb liming (lime) to the maximum. Sandpaper and then vacuum or broom per surface to remove dust. To brighten the wood can be used as liming wax / liming primer and then scrub with a cloth. When using wax, remove the excess wax with steel wool and seal with clear wax. When using primary liming, remove the excess with a rag. After drying stayed varnished